Saturday, July 20, 2013

Something Old

Many years ago, my husband's Aunt Arlene gave each member of the family a section of a quilt that had been made by a long ago relative.  At the time, I had no interest in quilting but I found the pieces to be just lovely.  The fabric and the detailed hand sewing really touched me.  I thought about the woman who found odd pieces of fabric, hand sewed them together and then embellished each patch with beautiful handwork.  So, I framed the two pieces we inherited and they are hanging in my living room.




And now that I have started to quilt, I am even more impressed by these two pieces and feel so fortunate to have this family history in our home.

Although this may not be exactly what Karen had in mind, her linky party did remind me about these wonderful quilt pieces and that I should share them with you!  Therefore, I am linking up with:
                                                        

Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!
Kathy 

5 comments:

  1. those are gorgeous, and so special! What a treasure.

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really meaningful! Isn't it fun to think that some descendent might have something you made on their wall generations from now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what meticulous work went into those beautiful pieces. Yes, quilts are art!! Thank you so much for sharing these with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are really lovely Kathy, I love all the little embroideries! They still look so vibrant and colourful even though they have age to them, it's a lovely idea to frame them and protect them from the elements but share them at the same time. Thanks so much for linking up to the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your lovely sections of your Aunt's quilt look a picture hanging on your wall!! Such beautifully stitched heirlooms bringing to mind special memories of loved ones!!

    ReplyDelete

How nice of you to take the time to comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...